International Moving Call Us Toll Free
International Moving Destination Guides Moving To USA Intl. Car Shipping Intl. Corporate Relocation Storage Intl. Moving Guides
  Get FREE Estimate

Moving To > England

Moving to England from the U.S.

If you are moving to England from the United States, there will be plenty to consider and prepare for before you head across the globe. The last thing you want to worry about is the logistics of a complicated move.

International Sea & Air Shipping will make your transition to England as seamless as possible by providing top-notch shipping services for all of your household goods, and much more.

How International Sea & Air can help for moving to England

To start, one of our trained moving specialists will provide a one-on-one consultation with you, thoroughly outlining your moving options based on certain criteria, such as:
  • Your moving timeline. When do you need to be in England?
  • Your real estate plans. Will you be renting or buying?
  • Your family/household size. Will you be moving alone or with your family? For business or personal reasons?
  • Cubic feet estimate. How large is your shipment?

How Much Does it Cost to Move to England?

For an accurate estimate of your shipment size, you should schedule a home survey as early as possible for your move to England. Our moving specialists will assess your belongings to give you the best estimate possible to expedite your relocation. The cost of moving to England will vary considerably based on the cubic footage of your belongings and your proposed destination arrival time.

Don't forget to ask about our overseas packing and custom crating services, too!

About England

Part of the United Kingdom (alongside Scotland, Wales and north-eastern parts of Ireland), England, which includes the Isle of Wight and the Isles of Scilly along with 100 other smaller islands, is bordered by the Celtic Sea, the North Sea and the English Channel which separate England from continental Europe.

Taking its name from a Germanic tribe (the Angles) who settled there in the 5th and 6th centuries, England (meaning “land of the Angles”) has created the English language, the Anglican church and English law - the basis for all common law in many countries around the world, including the United States. England was also the world's first industrialized nation, thanks in large part to the Industrial Revolution which began in England in the 18th century.

The English capital of London (formerly Winchester until the 12th century) is the largest metropolitan area in the United Kingdom and one of the busiest cities in the world, with the City of London being the world's largest financial center. London's Heathrow Airport also boasts the most international passengers of any other airport.

Can't wait to get started with your overseas relocation to England? First, find out what you'll need to clear Customs.

Custom Regulations for England:
  • Valid passport
  • Visa (may be required)
  • Work permit (if necessary)
  • Customs Form (Import Declaration)
    • Two fully completed originals need to be provided to a Customs agent
  • C-3 Form (household goods and personal effects for primary residence)
    • This form is required to clear household goods and only original forms with original ink signatures will be accepted
  • C-33 Form (household goods and personal effects for secondary residence)
  • Detailed Inventory of household goods and personal effects in English
    • Two copies, valued, dated and signed by the Customer
  • C426 Form (for diplomatic entry)
  • All household goods and personal effects must arrive within 12 months after Customer or up to six months before Customer's arrival in order to clear Customs
    • These items should come accompanied with a C-3 or C-33 Form
    • Detailed inventory of goods and household effects must also be included
  • Special regulations are given to the following and therefore specific information must be obtained by the Customer directly from the Embassy or Consulate for and by:
    • Students
    • Newlyweds and those who plan to marry shortly
    • Visitors
    • Customers with goods coming from EU countries
    • Customers with personal antiques or other inheritances not meant for resale

In England, some articles may not be imported whatsoever. These items include, but may not be limited to:
  • Illegal drugs
  • Flick knives (AKA switchblades) and gravity knives
  • All handguns other than certain .22 caliber target pistols
  • Chemical sprays used for self-defence purposes such as pepper and CS gas sprays
  • Stun guns
  • Pornographic material
  • Horror comics
  • Drugs and other narcotics
  • Counterfeit currency
  • Meat, poultry, fish and other animal products (if traveling from a country not in the EU)
  • Trees, plants, shrubs, seeds, bulbs, soil, potatoes and other vegetables and fruits (if traveling from a country not in the EU)
  • Products created from remains of protected/endangered animal and plant species
    • Fur, skins, ivory, reptile leather, caviar, shells or products made from these items

Some articles may have restricted quantities or require special authorization/ payments of duties and taxes to clear customs in England. These items include, but are not limited to:
  • Firearms or realistic imitation firearms
  • Ammunition, explosives and fireworks
  • Weapons, including curved blades and swords which are longer than 50cms in length
  • New household goods and personal effects if they are less than six months old (invoice required)
  • Alcohol, tobacco and perfume products are dutiable and must be declared on your Customs Form (C-3 or C-33)
    • Do not ship these items along with your household goods
    • Importation of these items can result in a full inspection of your entire shipment
  • Plants require a Phytosanitary Certificate
  • Rough diamonds
  • Certain radio transmitters
    • CB radios, walkie-talkie, cordless telephones, etc.
  • Certain animal products are allowed if not for commercial use:
    • Fur, skin and products made from the fur of harp and hooded seal pups
    • Products made from dog and cat fur
    • Finished goods containing specific fur for personal and private use

Customers moving to England for the first time may import vehicles (including trailers, boats and aircrafts) into the country if:
  • The owner is moving their primary residence to England
  • Customer living outside the European Union (EU) has been abroad for at least twelve months
  • Vehicle has been owned and used abroad by Customer for at least six months
  • It was not purchased duty free or tax free
  • The vehicle is for personal use only and will not be sold within a year of being imported
  • A Declaration to Her Majesty's Customs and Excise must specify:
    • Manufacture date, make, model name, serial number, chassis number and engine number
    • Cubic engine capacity and number of cylinders
    • Whether it is petrol or diesel and left or right hand drive
    • Description of the body, the price and the odometer reading
    • Any extra or special features
      • Such as automatic transmission
    • Any defects in the vehicle that would affect its price
  • Customer's presence at Customs Clearance may be required
You will need the following documents:
  • Registration papers and title
  • Policy certificate or registration
  • Insurance policy
  • Original purchase invoice
  • Log book
  • Customs Form C104A (importing vehicle in connection with moving main residence to the United Kingdom)
  • Customs Form C104F (importing vehicle for a 6-12 month period)
  • Customs Form C384 (importing vehicle when duty is applicable)
  • Community Transit Document T2 (can be found in the country your vehicle is being exported from)

When importing a pet to England, the requirements are:
  • A microchip
  • Proof of rabies vaccination
  • Pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate
  • Proof of tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)
  • Use of an authorized carrier by an approved route
  • A blood test taken at least 30 days after rabies vaccination (only if you are traveling from an unlisted country)
    • Must wait three months from the date of the blood sample before traveling
    • Vet must be given copy of test results
    • Blood test must show that the vaccination was successful
  • Customs Form C-5
  • Six months in quarantine in a government approved facility for all dogs and cats
    • Due to limited space in the quarantine kennel, this time must be booked before you import your pet
  • Import license (not granted until other requirements have been met and six months in quarantine have been scheduled)
  • There are no restrictions on pet rodents, rabbits, birds, decorative fish, invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles when arriving from EU countries
    • Rabbits and rodents from countries outside the EU must spend four months in quarantine and have a rabies import license

Rules for household goods and person effects that are duty-free vary based on the following:
  • Customers moving their principal home or returning to England:
    • Goods have been for Customer's personal use for at least six months before being imported
    • Customer is able to prove that duty and tax have already been paid before arrival
    • Items are declared on the C-3 Form
  • Customers coming from outside the European Union:
    • Have lived at least 12 months abroad
    • Will not sell, loan out or dispose of household goods within 12 months of being imported (unless Customs authority allows it)
  • Customer is setting up a secondary household in England
  • Customers living in another European Union country:
    • Customer owns a secondary home in England or will be renting one for a minimum of 12 months
    • Items have been owned by Customer three months before being imported and will not be sold for up to twelve months after
    • Customer can provide proof that duty and tax have already been paid on items
    • Items are declared on the C-3 Form
  • Customer is living outside the EU (items can be duty-free but not VAT free):
    • Customer has lived for at least 12 months outside of the EU
    • Customer owns a secondary home in England or is renting one for 24 months minimum
    • Goods have been owned and used for personal use for at least six months before importation
    • Items and effects will not be sold, lent out or disposed of within 12 months of being imported (unless Customs authority allows it)
    • Customer can provide proof that duty and tax have already been paid on items
    • Items are declared on the C-33 Form
  • Importation of the majority of private vehicles are duty-free assuming:
    • The owner of the vehicle is moving their primary residence to England
    • Customers living outside of EU countries have been abroad for more than 12 months
    • The vehicle has been owned and used abroad by the Customer for a minimum of six months
    • Said vehicle was not purchased duty or tax-free
    • It is for personal use and will not be resold within a year of being imported
NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International Sea & Air Shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.

Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1-866-788-1090


Motto : "God and my right"
Capital : London
National Anthem : "God Save the Queen"


Location : To the north by Scotland and to the west by Wales
Area : Total : 130,395 sq km

Land : 129,720 sq km
Water : 675 sq km

Climate : Oceanic "British" climate with small areas of subarctic climate


Nationality : Briton(s), British
Population : 51,446,000 (July 2008 est.)
Major Cities : LONDON (capital) 8.615 million; Birmingham 2.296 million; Manchester 2.247 million
Languages : English


GDP : $2.2 trillion (2006 est.)
Exchange Rates : Pound Sterling (GBP) per US dollar - 0.6504 (2010), 0.6389 (2009), 0.5302 (2008), 0.4993 (2007), 0.5418 (2006)


Airports : 47 (2010)
Roadways : Total : 362,000 km
Waterways : N/A
Ports & Terminals : London, King's Lynn, Medway, Whitstable, Ramsgate


To learn more about the packing and moving services we offer, view our informative slide show

Home | Overseas Moving | Overseas Moving Estimate | Schedule Survey | Coupon | Moving To | International Moving Guides
Household Goods | General Commodities | Artwork & Antiques | Piano | Packing | Pick up | Container Service
About Us | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Media | Testimonials | Site Map
International Shipping - AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY

©2019 International Moving. All Rights Reserved. Site Designed and Maintained by