Moving To > Australia
International Moving to Australia from the United States and Back
Are you planning a move to Australia? International moves require thorough research, preparation, and qualified overseas shippers to ensure your goods arrive safely in your new country. Before you do anything, let International Sea & Air Shipping assist you with the logistics of relocating to Australia.
International Sea & Air Shipping is an international moving company offering door-to-door moving and shipping services worldwide. As a leader among international moving companies, we're proud to provide full container service and lift van services both to and from the USA with complete documentation, custom assistance, insurance, shipping, storage and inland transportation. If you're relocating your household in an overseas move, we're here to help. International Sea & Air Shipping is an international mover you can trust to simplify your move.
How International Sea & Air Shipping can help for moving to Australia
At International Sea & Air Shipping, we offer range of services; we specialize in overseas moving; including shipping personal effects and household goods, export packing and crating, and shipping internationally, cars and boats. Whether you're relocating from the USA for Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or any other city or town in Australia, you can count on our dedicated teams of professionals to handle everything smoothly and professionally, from beginning to end.
At International Sea & Air Shipping, our moving specialists will assist you with every aspect of planning your move. Find out more about all our available moving services and options to decide what best suits your needs based on certain criteria:
- Your moving timeline. When do you need to be in Australia? Should you ship your goods via air or sea freight?
- Your real estate plans. Will you be renting or buying?
- Your fragile items. Do you require custom crating services?
- Your family/household size. Are you moving alone or with family? For business or personal reasons?
- Cubic feet estimate. How large is your shipment?
How Much Does it Cost to Move to Australia?
Schedule a home survey to receive an accurate estimate to ship your goods. One of our moving specialists will visit your home, assess your belongings and provide you with a free quote for your desired services. The cost will vary based on the cubic footage of your shipment, the method of shipping (air vs. sea freight) the services you require (packing and custom crating), and many other factors.
The process of shipping to Australia takes 8 weeks. Our employees will pack your household goods and personal belongings in seaworthy packaging, after which they will be transported by sea, while small consignments will be sent by air. We will visit you at your home and will discuss with you what is required in order to move to Australia. We will draw up a detailed inventory and will explain to you the specific regulations for the customs clearance of your belongings, to ensure you are fully prepared for moving to Australia. By ensuring thorough preparations and by engaging reliable movers of International Sea & Air Shipping International Movers, we will ensure that you will have no surprises when moving to Australia.
Known as the “Land Down Under, Australia is both a country and the world’s smallest continent known for its gorgeous landscape and wildlife. Australia is the only place in the world you can find animals such as kangaroos, koalas, and kookaburras. The country produces 95 percent of opals in the world and is a huge hub for tourism.
The island is bordered by the Pacific Ocean on the west and the Indian Ocean on the east, and surrounded by countries New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Singapore and Indonesia.
Australia is home to the world’s 13th largest economy and has the 9th highest per capita GDP---higher than United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, United States, France, and Japan. The country is responsible for several incredible inventions like the plastic disposable syringe and the bionic ear.
"Let me start by saying I was so nervous about my move to Australia, until I called international Sea & Air Shipping. I was transferred to Hillary who was so knowledgeable about moving to Australia. The packing crew were so efficient and polite and took such good care of our belongings. The shipment arrived when we were told and the delivery was seamless. I highly recommend doing a move with this company and I know I will use their services again! Kudos to Hillary, Marina, Packing Crew & Their team here in Australia!"
Custom Regulations for Australia:
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO MOVE TO AUSTRALIA
- Detailed inventory including values (in English)
- Copy of Passport
- Visa (all shippers, excluding Australian and New Zealand citizens, are required to have a visa to gain entry and to import household goods shipments)
- Customs form B534/Unaccompanied Effects Form (can be obtained from the destination agent or (downloaded online)
- Form B534 (required for an agent to clear shipment without shipper’s presence in Australia if shipment contains no dutiable items)
- Form B534 (must be the original, completed by the client. Customs will not accept faxed or photocopied forms)
- Authority to Act form (completed by the client to authorize clearance on their behalf)
- List of contents from the owner (if the owner packed the goods)
- Receipts for goods not owned and used for at least 12 months
- Shipments of household goods and personal effects are allowed duty free entry, provided that they have been owned and used by the shipper for at least twelve (12) months prior to importation.
- Goods may be cleared before the client arrives in the country provided that all of the necessary, correctly completed documents are in order
- Pornographic materials
- Drugs and narcotics
- Fresh fruits and vegetables (do not use fruit boxes to pack items, they are prohibited)
- Grains such as popcorn (popped and unpopped), barley, beans, seeds, etc.
- All meat and dairy products
- Plants or parts of plants, soil, seeds, dried flowers
- Remove all soil from garden implements, shoes/boots, lawnmowers and bicycles, dispose of vacuum cleaner bags
- Christmas decorations may not contain any pine cones, pieces of bark, branches, or any leaves (i.e. parts of any plant)
- Most animals including wildlife and endangered species, animal products (such as ivory, skins, feathers, bones, shells and the like or products made from these items) or animal equipment and biological specimens
- Radio transmitters, citizen band radios, cordless telephones (must be approved by the Department of Transport and Communication)
- Firearms, weapons, ammunition, explosives and some types of martial arts weapons
- Firearms are subject to severe restrictions
- Weapons will undergo safety check
- All firearms will be held by Customs upon arrival and held in "Queens Bond" pending approval by the Police Department for a "Shooters License"
- Performance and image-enhancing drugs
- Currency ($10,000 Australian dollars or more)
- Medicines which may be subject to misuse, abuse or dependence letter (requires letter from doctor stating medication is required for customer's treatment, and it has been supplied by prescription)
- Protected wildlife and wildlife products
- Heritage-listed goods
- Veterinary products
- Defense and strategic goods
Any alcohol brought into Australia must be declared and is subject to duty/GST. Charges are calculated on the following:
- Value of each bottle
- Percentage of alcohol content
- Each bottle of alcohol needs to be listed, and have the above noted, on a separate inventory sheet.
- Purchase invoice
- Car title
- Certificate that auto meets technical specifications and is in good running order
- Customer must be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or a person who has applied to become an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident
- Customer must have owned and used the auto for at least twelve months prior to import
- Customer must be of age to hold a license or permit to drive a vehicle
- Customer must comply with any road safety requirements imposed by the Administrator of Vehicle Standards
- All vehicles intended to be imported, including motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, trailers etc. must have an individual "Vehicle Import Approval" prior to their arrival in Australia
- An application for “Vehicle Import Approval' must be submitted to the Vehicle Safety Standards office in Canberra prior to vehicle’s arrival—as early as possible prior to the move to ensure clearance
- The importation of motor vehicles into Australia is strictly controlled and there are no duty/GST free concessions available--all motor vehicles will be subject to duty and/or GST calculated on the value of the vehicle
- High value vehicles will have a Luxury Car Tax
- All vehicles must comply with Australian Design Regulations which usually will require modification to the vehicle to bring it up to the required standard--modifications must be handled and certified by an accredited Australian automotive engineer and can be very costly
- The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) inspects all vehicles on arrival, and requires them to be properly steam cleaned. The customer should remove all soil and any other matter from your vehicle (including and especially the underside) prior to its exportation
- Customer must be in Australia at time of auto clearance to avoid bonded storage charges and demurrage
- Left-hand driven vehicles subject to temporary permit from department of road safety
Get further information on vehicle compliance requirements and access to the application for a “Vehicle Import Approval".
Get further information on Australian Quarantine Inspection on their website
Get further information on the current Customs clearance and valuation process, as well as applicable customs duty, GST and luxury car tax rates on the Australian Customs Service web site.
- B357 Form (Statement for Vehicle Imported by a Passenger)
- Bill of Sale
- Certificate of Steam Cleaning
- Current Passport (previous passport required together with current, if current passport has been issued after purchase of vehicle)
- Import Permit (will not be granted to customers who are on a temporary visa)
- Original purchase and registration papers (showing purchase price and purchase date)
- Receipts for any modifications to the vehicle which would add value to the purchase price
- Insurance Policy
- Driver’s license
- Service records and log books
- Car condition Report
- Authorization from Federal Office of Road Safety
- Clearance from the Australian Quarantine Service
- Strict regulations and quarantine apply (quarantine space very limited)
- Length of quarantine will depend upon the type of animal and country of origin
- Proof of inoculation required
- Import Permit from the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service required
- Birds are prohibited
Get more information on the importation of pets to Australia.
NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International Sea & Air Shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.
Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1-866-788-1090