Moving to Sri Lanka from the U.S.
For a smooth and tension free moving to Sri Lanka from USA, rely on International Sea & Air Shipping. We will ship your car or household goods safely to the desired destination with the same level of sincerity and professionalism that is gained over years.
When Moving to Sri Lanka
Our experts offer you the best international moving options based on your criteria and professional staff will monitor all your moving needs during the moving process and assists you with the moving tips. Some of the issues that you might face during the move are:
- Shipping by sea or air to Sri Lanka is available - do you have a preference?
- Do you have an apartment or real estate availability dates?
- Are you moving alone or with family? What is the time frame that your family should arrive in the Sri Lanka?
The Cost of Moving to Sri Lanka
The cost of moving to the Sri Lanka from the United States depends on the cubic footage of your belongings and your proposed destination arrival time. If you wish to hire car shipping services then you may be charged extra.
To get the exact cubic feet estimates you can consult our moving experts to inspect your possessions and check out the site and jump start your international move.
About Sri Lanka
Titled as ‘The Pearl of Indian Ocean’ Sri Lanka in ancient times is known by a variety of names like Lanka or Singhala in India, Taprobane in ancient Greek, and Ceylon by Portuguese. Even the name was officially changed to Sri Lanka; Ceylon is still in use in the names of a number of organizations.
Sri Lanka is bordered by the Indian Ocean, Gulf of Mannar, Palk Strait, and lies in the vicinity of India and the Maldives. The highest point of Sri Lanka is Pidurutalagala, reaching 2,524 metres. Sri Lankan climate is described as tropical and warm.
The Sinhalese and the Tamil are the two main traditional cultures of Sri Lanka. A British colonial culture was also added in the most recent times. Esala Perahera is the grand festival held in Sri Lanka with elegant costumes. Sri Lanka’s popular type of music is the Baila.
Famous for the production and export of tea, coffee, coconuts, rubber and cinnamon, Sri Lanka is a founding member of SAARC and a member of United Nations, Commonwealth of Nations, G77 and Non-Aligned Movement. The trading partners of Sri Lanka are US, UK, Italy, Germany, Belgium, India, China, Singapore, Iran and South Korea.
Custom Regulations for Sri Lanka :
- Residence Visa/Blue Card
- Unaccompanied baggage declaration must be made at airport
- Inventory (valued)
- CUSTOMER MUST BE PRESENT AT TIME OF CUSTOMS CLEARANCE
- Sri Lanka Nationals & Expatriates may import household goods and personal effects duty-free provided they have been outside the country for a year or more
- Some Customs exemption granted with Residence Visa
- Shipments must arrive within three months of Customer
- Refundable Customs deposit payable on all shipments
- All items in commercial quantity
- Alcohol and tobacco products
- All currency, gold, silver, jewelry, etc.
- Dangerous drugs
- Gold and gems
- Obscene literature, pictures, etc.
- Sri Lanka currency over Rs. 1,000/Indian and Pakistan currencies
- Fruits, plants, vegetables
- Animals, birds, reptiles, and parts thereof
- POSSESSION OF HEROIN CARRIES THE DEATH PENALTY
- Automobiles and motorcycles over three years old are prohibited
- Only right-hand drive autos are permitted
- High duties payable
- Import License must be obtained prior to arrival
Maximum permissible for other common items:
NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International sea & air shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance.Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.
- 12 Saris and 6 Sarongs (or verities)
- Garments: Males (12) and Females (12)
- Textile material--total of 12 meters
- Shoes, Slippers--6 pairs of each
Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1-866-788-1090
Motto : N/A|
Capital : Colombo
National Anthem : "Sri Lanka Matha" ("Mother Sri Lanka")
Location : Southern Asia, island in the Indian Ocean, south of India
Area : Total : 65,610 sq km
Land : 64,630 sq km
Climate : Tropical monsoon; northeast monsoon (December to March); southwest monsoon (June to October)
Water : 980 sq km
Nationality : Sri Lankan(s)
Population : 21,283,913 (July 2011 est.)
Major Cities : COLOMBO (capital) 681,000 (2009)
Languages : Sinhala (official and national language) 74%, Tamil (national language) 18%, Other 8% ,Note: English is commonly used in government and is spoken competently by about 10% of the population
GDP : $104.7 billion (2010 est.)
Exchange Rates : Sri Lankan rupees (LKR) per US dollar - 113.36 (2010), 114.95 (2009), 108.33 (2008), 110.78 (2007), 103.99 (2006)
Airports : 18 (2010)
Roadways : Total : 91,907 km (2008)
Waterways : 160 km
Ports & Terminals : Colombo