International Move to South Korea
Moving to South Korea is a major transition for anyone, and there will be plenty to consider and prepare for before you head across the globe.
The last thing you want to worry about is the logistics of a complicated move, especially when it comes to documentation, Customs regulations and shipping services.Which is why you shouldn't have to worry about it. Instead, let us tackle the tough stuff for you.
International Sea & Air Shipping will make your transition to South Korea as seamless as possible, by providing top-notch shipping services for all of your household goods and much more.
We'll be there with you each and every step of your move abroad, from packing and crating your goods, to shipping them overseas and assisting you through the complicated overseas documentation process.
All you need to do is give us a call so we can get started with an on-site estimate. We'll take care of everything else.Here's how we get the job done:
How International Sea & Air Can Help
To start, one of our trained moving specialists will provide a one-on-one consultation with you, thoroughly outlining your moving options based on certain criteria, such as:
- Your moving timeline. When do you need to be in South Korea?
- Your real estate plans. Will you be renting or buying?
- Your family/household size. Will you be moving alone or with your family? For business or personal reasons?
- Cubic feet estimate. How large is your shipment?
What Will Moving to South Korea Cost?
For the most accurate estimate of your total shipment size, you should schedule an in-home survey as early as possible for your move to South Korea.
Don't wait until the last possible moment, contact International Sea & Air Shipping today. You won't regret the decision.
After we hear from you, our moving specialists will assess your belongings to give you the best estimate possible to expedite your relocation.
The cost of moving to South Korea will vary considerably based on the cubic footage of your belongings and your proposed destination arrival time so it's extremely important that you work with an agent so they can give you the most accurate quote.
Ready to start budgeting for your international move?
Give us a call, and don't forget to ask about our overseas packing and custom crating services, too!
About South Korea
South Korea - officially known as the Republic of Korea - is a sovereign state in East Asia making up the southern portion of the Korean Peninsula.
Around half of South Korea's population resides in the region surrounding its capital: the Seoul Capital Area, the second largest in the world with more than 25 million residents.
Ranked second in Asia on the Democracy Index, South Koreans have high civil liberties and live in one of the most developed democracies in the world. South Korea is also East Asia's highest ranked developed country according to the Human Development Index.
The country boasts the eighth highest household income on the planet and has some of the highest quality education and healthcare. It's also the world's highest research and development intensive country and has the fastest internet connectivity speed.
Can't wait to get started with your overseas relocation to South Korea? First, find out what you'll need to clear Customs.
Customs Regulations for South Korea
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ENTRY|
- Passport with identification and entry stamp (copy)
- Import declaration
- Certificate of Origin
- Inventory list (detailed)
- Certificate of Entry and Departure (for retuning Koreans)
- Certificate of Alien Registration from the Korean Immigration Office
- Application for Duty Exemption (issued by the Foreign Affairs Ministry of Korea for Diplomats)
- Residence Card (from the Korean Immigration Office)
- Work Visa (that's been valid for a year or more)
- Bill of Lading (original)
- Personal effects and household goods must arrive no later than six months after Customer's arrival in South Korea
- Personal effects cannot be cleared until Customer has arrived in South Korea
- All visitors who enter Korea must submit a written baggage declaration to a Customs officer upon entry
- A person carrying more than $10,000 worth of any type of payment (cash, check, etc.) needs to declare it to Customs
In South Korea, some articles may not be imported in a customer's baggage whatsoever. These items include, but may not be limited to:
- Subversive material
- Treasonous materia
- Counterfeit goods or materials
Some articles may have restricted quantities or require special authorization/ payments of duties and taxes to clear customs in South Korea. These items include, but are not limited to:
MOTOR VEHICLE REGULATIONS
- Real and imitation firearms, ammunition and explosive materials such as fireworks(need permission from Commissioner General of National Police Agency)
- Drugs, including narcotics and psychotropic substances
- Animals, plants and items made from animal and plant products (subject to quarantine and may not be allowed to enter)
- Endangered animals, plants and products made from them as outlined by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)(will require permit from CITES)
In South Korea, it is very expensive to import vehicles. You may import a car into the country if:
You will need the following documents:
- You plan to live in South Korea for at least one year (those entering South Korea with a family may import a vehicle if they plan to live there a minimum of six months)
- The car has been own and registered in the name of the person importing it three months prior to shipping
- The car is not Japanese
- The car is a small or medium vehicle (mobile homes, trucks and vehicles that seat more than 10 passengers are forbidden)
PETS AND ANIMAL REGULATIONS
- Certificate of registration (original)
- An invoice or receipt that provides proof of purchase for the vehicle and states the amount paid for it
- Customer's passport
- A Custom's declaration
- A work permit (valid for at least one year)
All animals are subject to inspection and quarantine upon arrival. Visitors traveling with pets must declare their pets (maximum of four) on the Customs Declaration Form.
When importing a petto South Korea, he or she will need to have the following documentation:
DUTY AND TAX RATE PERCENTAGE
- Microchip implantation
- A health certificate (must include pet's identification number)
- Rabies-neutralizing antibody test
- A quarantine certificate issued by exporting country
Certain items may be imported duty free if the Customer is over 19-years-old. These items include:
NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International sea & air shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance.Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.
- 200 cigarettes
- 50 cigars
- 250 grams of tobacco
- 1 liter of alcohol
- 2 ounces of perfume
- Other personal items worth up to $400 (gifts and new items)
Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1-866-788-1090
Motto : Benefit all mankind|
Capital : Seoul
National Anthem : "Aegukga" ("The Patriotic Song")
Location : Eastern Asia, southern half of the Korean Peninsula bordering the Sea of Japan and the Yellow Sea
Area : Total : 99,720 sq km
Land : 96,920 sq km
Climate : Temperate, with rainfall heavier in summer than winter
Water : 2,800 sq km
Nationality : Korean(s)
Population : 48,754,657 (July 2011 est.)
Major Cities : SEOUL (capital) 9.778 million; Pusan 3.439 million; Inch'on 2.572 million; Taegu 2.458 million; Taejon 1.497 million (2009)
Languages : Korean, English widely taught in junior high and high school
GDP : $1.467 trillion (2010 est.)
Exchange Rates : South Korean won (KRW) per US dollar - 1,153.77 (2010), 1,276.93 (2009), 1,101.7 (2008), 929.2 (2007), 954.8 (2006)
Airports : 116 (2010)
Roadways : Total : 103,029 km
Waterways : 1,608 km
Ports & Terminals : Inch'on, P'ohang, Pusan, Ulsan, Yosu