Moving Internationally to Japan from the U.S.
Are you planning an international move to Japan? While this new transition is exciting, it is also a lot of work.
Shipping your household goods overseas requires proper planning and preparation - you’ll need professional and reliable international shippers to transport your goods safely and without damage.
If you are moving to Japan, International Sea & Air Shipping is here to help you with every step of your overseas relocation! We offer various shipping options that will cater to your relocation needs. Need help with Customs and documentation? We do that too!
Call International Sea & Air Shipping today and schedule an in-home survey!
How International Sea & Air Shipping can help for moving to Japan
At International Sea & Air Shipping, our professional moving specialists are trained to advise you and oversee your entire overseas move to Japan. We offer a variety of shipping services to meet your needs:
- Your moving timeline.When do you need to be in Japan? Should you ship your goods via air or sea freight?
- Your real estate plans.Will you be renting or buying a home?
- Your fragile items.Do you require packing or custom crating services?
- Your family/household size.Are you moving alone or with family? For business or personal reasons?
- Your cubic feet estimate.How large is your shipment?
How Much Does a Move to Japan Cost?
Cost is always an important factor when planning an international move.
If you’re moving to Japan, the price to relocate will depend on your shipment size, the services you require, and several other factors.
Schedule a free in-home estimate today with International Sea & Air Shipping and one of our trained moving specialists will visit your home to assess your goods, determine the cubic footage of your shipment, and answer all of your important questions. You will then receive a free quote for overseas goods shipping and the other moving services you need.
What are you waiting for? Start planning your move to Japan today!
Known as the “Land of the Rising Sun,” Japan is a country widely known for its rich, unique culture and advanced technology. An archipelago of 6,852 islands (including Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu and Shikoku), the country has the world's 10th largest population and its capital Tokyo is the largest metropolitan area in the world.
One of the most interesting travel destinations in the world, travelers enjoy unique cuisine (like fresh, authentic sushi), and experience the preserved cultural heritage by exploring castles, museums, and temples. Beautiful forests, mountains and volcanoes cover about 70 percent of Japan, and high-tech, fast-paced cities like Tokyo visitors from all over the world.
Japan is the third largest economy of the world by purchasing power parity and also by nominal GDP.
The world's fourth largest exporter and importer, major traders include Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, US, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, United Kingdom and Indonesia.
Custom Regulations for Japan:
- Passport for every member of the family (clear copy of all the pages which have Japanese entry stamps) and copy of page with photograph
- Residence and Working Visa (valid for over one year)
- Original and two copies of Declaration for Unaccompanied Baggage stating number of pieces in each shipment (Form C 5360-2 for non-Japanese and Form 5360 for Japanese).
- Forms are obtained on the airplane travelling to Japan or at the airport in Japan upon arrival
- Two originals are required
- Document can be used to declare any other shipments arriving within six months
- If this form is not presented at time of arrival, the customer must prepare a "Letter of Apology" to Customs office which will delay clearance--customer may have to pay import duty
- Inventory (detailed in English or Japanese)
- PBO: "packed by owner" and miscellaneous are not acceptable
- Air shipments require a detailed list with carton numbers and items in each carton, along with the total number of pieces
- Keys to locked trunks/suitcases
- Delivery address and telephone number
- Customer must be in Japan at time of customs clearance
- Used household goods and personal effects are duty-free provided they have been in the owner's possession for at least one year
- Most shipments will be inspected
- The shipment must arrive within six months of the customer
If any of the above items are included in your shipment, they will either be shipped back to your origin country or abandoned. Additional costs for either option will be charged to the customer.
- Rice, flower seeds/bulbs, flour, straw and straw items
- Fresh fruit, meat products and vegetables (pineapples and green bananas excluded)
- Wildlife products from protected and endangered species
- Narcotics and drugs (including over the counter cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine)
- Counterfeit or altered currency
- Pornographic or politically sensitive material such as books, pictures or sculptures
- Firearms and other lethal weapons--particularly swords, spears, blowpipes, daggers, bolos, bows and arrows if the blade is more than 15 centimeters in length (importation and/or possession will result in fines)
MOTOR VEHICLE REGULATIONS
- The following items may be imported duty free in limited quantities:
- Alcohol (three bottles/around 760cc)
- Cigarettes (400 pieces per adult)
- Cigars (100 pieces if there is no other tobacco)
- Pipe tobacco (500 grams if here is no other tobacco)
- If there are more than kinds of tobacco, it must not exceed 500 grams in total weight
- Perfume (two ounces)
- Cosmetics and non-prescription medications (24 pieces of any item)
- Medication (two month's supply is permitted with proof of prescription)
- Rooted plants, furs, straw products, shells, meats and stuffed animals require a Quarantine Certificate
- Electrical appliances require invoices
If the above requirements are not met, import duty will be assessed at five percent of the depreciated assessed market value.
- Vehicle may be imported duty-free for foreigners establishing residence
- Vehicle must not be sold for two years after date of Import Permit
- Vehicle must meet import requirements
- Documents required:
- Original Passport
- Alien Registration Card
- Form C 5360-2 or 5360
- Original Registration
- Engine and chassis Number
- Purchase receipt
- Proforma invoice
- Drivers License (copy)
- Car Manual
- Documents stating vehicle has been in owner's use and possession abroad
- Affidavit stating that you will not sell your auto while in Japan
- Foreign cars must be modified to meet Japanese emission and safety regulations-- charges are very high and must be paid by the customer
Pets not meeting these requirements will be returned to origin (at owner's expense).
- Health and Resident Certificate from Quarantine Office at origin endorsed by USDA/APHIS/VS required (certificate issued by private veterinarians not acceptable)
- Original Rabies Certificate issued by the pet’s veterinarian (must be issued within past six months but more than one month before importation)
- Quarantine of at least 15 days is required for dogs
- Pets must be shipped aboard direct non-stop flights from origin city (where certificate was issued)
NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International Sea & Air Shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.
Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1-866-788-1090
Motto : All the world under one roof|
Capital : Tokyo
National Anthem : "Kimi ga Yo" ("May Your Reign Last Forever")
Location : Eastern Asia, island chain between the North Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan, east of the Korean Peninsula
Area : Total : 377,915 sq km
Land : 364,485 sq km
Climate : Varies from tropical in south to cool temperate in north
Water : 13,430 sq km
Nationality : Japanese (Singular and Plural)
Population : 126,475,664 (July 2011 est.)
Major Cities : TOKYO (capital) 36.507 million; Osaka-Kobe 11.325 million; Nagoya 3.257 million; Fukuoka-Kitakyushu 2.809 million; Sapporo 2.673 million (2009)
Languages : Japanese
GDP : $4.338 trillion (2010 est.)
Exchange Rates : Yen (JPY) per US dollar - 87.78 (2010), 93.57 (2009), 103.58 (2008), 117.99 (2007), 116.18 (2006)
Airports : 176 (2010)
Roadways : Total : 1,203,777 km
Waterways : 1,770 km
Ports & Terminals : Chiba, Kawasaki, Kobe, Mizushima, Moji, Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo, Tomakomai, Yokohama